Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dogs4Diabetes

I recently came across an article about diabetes-detecting dogs. These dogs apparently have the ability to tell when a person’s blood sugar levels are getting dangerously low. Is this for real????

The article was about a non-profit organization that trains dogs for special diabetics. The organization is called Dogs4Diabetes and has been open since 2003. After a little research I found out it takes about 2 years and $20,000 to fully train one dog.

My grandmother was diagnosed with diabetes when I was young and we were extremely close so I was always around it & it’s effects. There are 2 different types of diabetes: type 1 & type 2. Sometimes a person can’t tell when their blood sugar levels are getting dangerously low until it is too late, until the dizziness overwhelms them and then it’s very hard to take control of this disease. This is what the dogs are for. The dogs can sense when the person’s levels are getting low so they can wake them, bark, or get their attention somehow.

This is remarkable! Right now science can’t figure out how these canines can do this. So my theory is not to question it… just do it. Train these dogs & help save lives!!!

If you want to check these animals out you can go to Dogs4Diabetes website: www.dogs4diabetes.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment