Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bullying

When I agreed to write a blog on bullying, I was skeptical at first. I didn’t know a lot about the subject to be honest. It seems that the topic of bullying is everywhere now. I was watching the news last week about a School Board member posting a status on Facebook implying Gay people should kill themselves. This is absolutely horrible. It doesn’t matter if you find a persons beliefs wrong,  you should never, ever want someone to die!

I have 2 small children & one of my main goals is to teach them to always treat others like they would want to be treated. My daughter recently started Kindergarten and has already seen bullying. This is one of the main reasons I stopped putting her in pageants. ‘Pageant Moms’ are some of the worst bullies I have come across. Kids learn by example and so the children of these monsters start bullying at an early age. Most bullying is in the form of words, “I am prettier than you… I should’ve won… etc.”

In my opinion, parents are the number one reason why bullying exists. As a parent, it’s my job to teach my kids right from wrong. Bullying hurts everyone. Victims can have their feelings hurt or be injured by bullies. Other kids can feel sad or scared, even if they are just watching a bully pick on someone else. Kids who bully often grow up to become adult bullies.

Bullies come in all shapes and sizes and ages. Anyone can be a bully - even you. Kids usually become bullies because they are unhappy inside for some reason or don't know how to get along with other kids.

Bullying can happen to anyone. Here is a website to help with this problem: www.bullying.org
At that site there is lots more information and special support groups for victims of bullying.

No comments:

Post a Comment